Baldwin-Wallace College integrates the hallmarks of a traditional liberal arts education -- critical thinking, problem-solving, writing and speaking skills -- with an emphasis on professional and career preparation.
As part of the B-W Strategic Plan, Baldwin-Wallace determined that students needed structure, guidance, and mentoring to be prepared to pusue their personal and academic goals. They decided to introduce Action Plans in summer orientation and across all College 101 courses, teach goal setting and personal development, and encourage students to take charge of their future. These individual plans provided the structure to get students thinking about their development in and outside the classroom, and integrating experiential learning into their educations.
Why Campus Pack
- Baldwin-Wallace College felt paper resumes and traditional hard-bound portfolios were becoming a way of the past.
- Campus Pack provides every user a portfolio enabling students, instructors, and staff to share their work and co-curricular interests with classmates and colleagues, both inside and outside of the institution.
- Students are able to use the Web 2.0-based tools to create wikis, blogs, journals, and podcasts to develop scholarly research, publish interactive academic presentations, and showcase personal interests and achievements.
- 15% improvement in retention rates for College 101 students
- Over 100 additional students were retained over the 5 year period (2005 - 2010)
- Of the 6 Carnegie Class schools surveyed, students' responded having higher overall satisfaction with Baldwin-Wallace College and higher rates of out-of-class engagement
- Greater numbers of College 101 students are earning 3.0 GPA or higher.
Infographic illustrating the B-W Action Plan
View a summary of our entry here (PDF).